PERRACHE - SAINTE-BLANDINE

BEHIND THE ARCHES, THE HISTORIC DISTRICT

Perrache is the name of the station inaugurated in 1857. It is also the name of the town-planning engineer who first proposed a plan to redevelop the southern part of the peninsula in 1771. With the arrival of industrial, logistics and port activities, thousands of workers settled in the area around the Sainte-Blandine church. Today, Perrache - Sainte-Blandine has managed to preserve its identity and has opened up to the rest of the city.

PLACE DES ARCHIVES

Place des Archives, the southern plaza of the Perrache railway station, was built in two stages. The western part was redeveloped in 2008 following the completion of the Municipal Archives building. The esplanade to the east was finished in 2010 including an underground parking lot. With 6,500 m2 between the Municipal Archives on the west side, and the Catholic University of Lyon on the east, it is now the gateway to the local area, used by thousands of travellers, students and employees every day. Thanks to the redevelopment, it is now also a pleasant place to relax and gather with friends.

LET’S OPEN PERRACHE

Though it was originally designed to open towards the historic city centre of Lyon, Perrache Railway Station now also faces south. The metamorphosis began in 2018.

A NEW ENTRANCE TO THE RAILWAY STATION 

A new entrance to the station provides direct access to the tracks without the use of stairs or elevators. A ramp will facilitate access for people with reduced mobility.  

A WESTERN ARCH RESERVED FOR PEDESTRIANS AND CYCLISTS

The western arch, under the station and the transit hub, connects Place des Archives to Place Carnot. It will be exclusively for active modes, with no car traffic. The passageway will feature a wide pedestrian sidewalk and a 4-metre wide two-way bicycle path. Natural light will penetrate into the environment, thanks to the partial demolition of the transit hub. The passage consists of three sections:

  • a 120-metre section under Perrache station,
  • an open-air 50-metre section in the middle, with a view of Château-Perrache hotel,
  • a final section under the transit hub opening onto Place Carnot.

Let’s Open Perrache: the west tunnel, renovated in 2020

MORE EFFICIENT PUBLIC TRANSPORT

The terminus of the T2 tram line is currently located in Perrache. The line will be extended to Montrochet station to bolster service in the south peninsula, at present covered solely by tram line T1. The area around Suchet station (lines T1 and T2) on the northern part of Cours Charlemagne has been pedestrianized.

Access to Lyon's metro line A will also be simpler and more pleasant. The current access, via Place Carnot, is to be redeveloped. A bicycle parking area will be set up near the Place Carnot metro entrance.

Let’s Open Perrache: a major construction project

FROM PRISONS TO A UNIVERSITY

The former Saint-Paul’s and Saint-Joseph’s prisons have been out of use since 2009, and now house the Catholic University of Lyon, offices, and housing promoting intergénérationnal diversity such as the Maison des Deux Rives Jacques Moulinier. This transformation is the result of the "Life at its Most Open" programme by the Catholic University of Lyon, the OPAC du Rhône, Habitat et Humanisme and the real estate group SOFADE/OGIC.

The Catholic University of Lyon (UCLy) took up residence in September 2015 on 35,000 m2. The Saint-Paul’s campus opens onto Place des Archives, and receives a constant flow of students. There are more than 10,000 students enrolled at UCLy.

Opposite the UCLy campus, the former Saint-Joseph’s prison now houses:

  • 108 student rooms,
  • 90 subsidised-ownership housing units,
  • 65 social housing units,
  • 25 other units reserved for convalescents. 

“Life at its Most Open” as seen by its architect

PERRACHE, MIGNOT, ECO-REDEVELOPED CITIES 

Low-cost housing flourished between the world wars. At Lyon Confluence, these housing units are the focus of special attention and are considered as heritage elements that must be taken care of in the context of the energy renovation of the district's buildings.

Opposite Marché-Gare, Cité Perrache, with its 275 apartments, was built in the 1930s to accommodate low-income families. Its buildings are currently undergoing a major energy renovation project, covered by the owner Grand Lyon Habitat. The project includes façade insulation, replacement of joinery, installation of a collective heating system and connection to the district heating network. The tenants of these apartments have been provided with tablets to allow them to monitor their energy consumption (electricity, gas and water).

Further north, the buildings of Cité Mignot, built in 1913, are also undergoing an energy-efficient renovation project. This involves 150 dwellings and includes connection to the district heating network, replacement of joinery and insulation of certain gables.